The original structure dates back to the 13th century and housed the monastery and the church of the Sisters observing the rules of St. Clare. In the early 17th century the convent was enlarged and a new church was built. This monastery was also important because it housed a pharmacy open to the public. The Sisters remained here until the second half of 1800 when the monastery, according to a national law, passed to the municipality. They moved to the current Monastery of Santa Chiara. Part of the building now houses the Municipal Library.